Sunday, April 01, 2007

Awww yeah!
Status: Lawful permanent resident
Mood: At Peace

Paulatina in NYmotherfuckin' C! That's right I told you that this was my year and boy is it ever. So after 10 months, it's official I am US of A green card holder. Now if any of you have ever doubted the saying "everything happens for a reason", I am here to tell you that in my experiences, it is infact very true.
A short story on my immigration process:
It all begins when I decide that I am soo done with MTL, maily because as a anglo I find that my oppotunities are limited in Quebec. Yes, that's right I said it, even though I am by definition a true quebec-er (english mother, french(France) father), I do not have a purelaine type name, i.e. Pelletier, BĂ©langer etc. But all of this is besides the point, my husband is american which gives us the option to come to the US and try to live out our dreams in the land of opportunity. However his oppotunities thanks to a certain Cirque du Roleil had also run out in MTL. So we decided that NY was the place to be able to get back on our feet. I do have to mention that my husband's parents live in Orangeburg NY, a suburb of NY about 20 minutes outside of Manhattan, so choosing NY was just about our only option. Anyways from there Mr.P goes to NY to find some work and starts to file the paperwork to bring me over around may 2006. I continue to live and work in MTL until about august of 2006. After that I was kind of drifting back and forth between MTL and NYC, but mostly in NYC. There were many administrative demands on us during this time and we completed all of them in a timely manner and paid all of the required fees, totalling approximately 700$ USD. This of course does not include the trips to MTL, doctor visits, and miscelaneous expenses that add up. During this time though, Mr. P and I celebrated our two year aniversary (yay!), the reason that I bring this up is because it is an important detail in the immigration process. For couples married under two years, the permanent residence is valid for only a year, and after that you have to go through the whole process all over again. So after all of the procedures and paperwork that needed to be sent in, we were married just over two years, thus making my application count all the more. So here I am relieved that all of this immigration stuff is over and I am ready to take on new challenges, graduate school, driver's license, and so much more that you can all keep updated on here on my blog.

That's me waiting for the mail carrier to bring the envelope containing my visa ( I had to sign for it-note the ginormous pen)
















"Sign here madame"

















"At last"

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pater noster, qui es in caelis:
sanctificetur Nomen Tuum;
adveniat Regnum Tuum;
fiat voluntas Tua, sicut in caelo, et in terra.
Panem nostrum cotidianum da nobis hodie;
et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
Sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris;
et ne nos inducas in tentationem;
sed libera nos a Malo.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home